Saturday, April 24, 2010

Tofu and spinach empanadas

Empanadas are a common Latin american delicacy, and the filling mostly comprises of meat like ground pork,beef or chicken. Maybe the similarity in my dish and the original ends with the name. But no matter what you call it, I can tell you this was one healthy and complete dish that tastes much better than the picture does justice for. Tofu is not something that many people like, and those who do swear by it. I am one of those people, but my hubby does not share my love for tofu. I feel that tofu is like a blank canvas, and it takes up the taste of anything you cook it with. In this dish, it surprisingly tasted so much like scrambled eggs, that I didn't have to convince him to take a bite. He believed that the filling was egg and loved it. I had some leftover  pizza dough in my refrigerator, and used it to make my empanadas. Now that I think about it, maybe I should have named them calzones. Anyway, here's the recipe:



For the dough:
Refer to my Broccoli and pepper pizza post.

For the filling:

Onion - 1 small
Capsicum - 1
Spinach - 2 cups
Tofu - 3/4 pack
Marinara sauce - 1/2 cup
Red pepper flakes - 1 tsp
Black pepper - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
Oil - 1 tbsp
Garlic - 2 cloves


Chop the veggies really fine. In a pan, add the oil and the garlic and red pepper flakes. When the garlic is aromatic, add the onions and capsicum and fry till tender. Add the spinach and fry till it's wilted. Now add the tofu and cook for some time. Add the salt and the marinara sauce. Keep aside till it's cool enough to handle.

Take dough the size of tennis ball and roll out into 1/2 inch thickness. Now add 3/4 cup filling and roll it into half and seal the sides with water. At this stage, you can brush the outside with egg wash. It will give it a golden brown exterior. I skipped this part and hence the dull looking empanada.

Bake in a preheated 375F oven for 17 to 20 min. Serve hot with marinara sauce or hot sauce.

No comments: