Thursday, June 23, 2011

Stir-fry bread

I learnt this dish from my aunt. She made it for us a long time back, and I remember we thought it was very fancy back then. She would fry the sliced bread in some ghee, for taste and texture. I used crusty bread here, hence avoided this step. Trust me, this is a great carb fix.


French baguette/Any crusty bread - 1/2 loaf
Onion - 1
Green chilis - 2
Garlic - 2 cloves
Heat the oil in a pan.
Bell pepper - 1
Tomato - 1
Soy sauce - 2 tbsp
Tomato ketchup - 1/4 cup
Hot sauce - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
Oil - 1 tbsp

Break the bread into bite sized pieces. Slice the onions, garlic, green chilis and capsicum.
Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onions, garlic, and green chilis. Add the capsicum and fry till soft.
Slit the tomatoes and squeeze out the seeds. Add to the pan, and add the hot sauce, soy sauce, ketchup and salt. Add the bread pieces and mix till the bread is coated well. Garnish with cilantro and serve hot.

2 comments:

k2 said...

Hey yes !
My mom used to make this.Glad u decided to post the recipe here.Great dish !!

Bhavana said...

Yes, this was totally aunt's recipe :)