Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Sev and Ribbon Pakode


Crunchy, spicy, melt in your mouth. I don't have a sweet tooth, and love my savory stuff. I tried to make this healthier too...baking them instead of frying them. Trust me, somethings are best left to the deep fryer :) The same batter can be used for both. Also, you could make any shape in the press with the same. My mom would make these with double the besan to rice flour. I noticed that this is not the usual ratio. I like hers, so using the same ratio.



Besan - 2 cups
Rice Flour - 1 cup
Hing - 1 tsp
Carom seeds (Ajwain/Omam/Vamu) - 2 tbsp
Salt - To taste
Butter or Ghee - 2 tbsp (Melted)
Red chili powder - 2 tbsp
Oil - To fry
Water - To mix the dough
Muruku press

Method:

Mix all the ingredients except the ajwain and  oil in a bowl. Add water and mix till it forms a dough. This will be soft, yet firm.
Heat the oil. Use the sev attachment in the press, and fill it with the dough. Press into the hot oil, making a large round.
Wait till the bubbles subside and turn once. Fry till golden brown and remove onto an absorbant paper.
For the Ribbon pakoda, add the carom seeds to the rest of the batter and mix. 
Change the attachment in the muruku press and make the pakodas similar to the sev.

Cool and store in an air tight container.

No comments: