Thursday, March 1, 2012

Kottu Parotta



This is my favorite dish to order in a restaurant in Chennai. I love the way they break up (kottu) the parathas in the roadside eateries using the iron spatulas. I skipped the egg in this recipe, as I did not have any on hand. Scrambling an egg in the end would make this more authentic. Typically kottu parotta is made with salna, a spicy sauce cooked using chicken or mutton. This can be substituted with a couple table spoons of any chicken or mutton gravy on hand. I am sure that this will taste good even without this.

Parottas - 3
Onion- 1
Green chilis - 4
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbsp
Capsicum - 1
Tomato - 1
Turmeric - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Cumin powder - 1 tsp
Soy sauce - 1 tbsp
Salna or chicken/mutton gravy - 1/4 cup
Salt - to taste

Seasoning:
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Oil - 1 tbsp

Cook the parathas and tear them to bite sized pieces after they cool down. I used frozen kawan parottas for this.
In a flat bottom pan, heat the oil and splutter the mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Add the curry leaves and slit green chilis.
Add the sliced onion and capsicum. Fry till soft and add the tomato and ginger garlic paste. Fry till the tomato is wilted. Add the salt, coriander and cumin powers and soy sauce. Add about a 1/4 cup of water. Cook till the water evaporates and add the gravy. I had left over chicken gravy, and I used that here.
Add the torn parotta pieces, mix well and check for seasonings. Garnish with cilantro and serve immediately with raita.

No comments: