Saturday, April 30, 2016

Cauliflower Wings - 3 Ways

We love chicken wings and I love to make them at home. But I also wanted to try an alternative to chicken wings that was vegetarian. Cauliflower is a perfect substitute and people who hate cauliflower must have never tasted the amazing Cauliflower 65 or the delicious Indo-Chinese dishes such as Cauliflower Manchurian or Chili Gobi. 

Since the Cauliflower is not as meaty, the best thing to do is coat it in a thin batter to bring that firm texture to the vegetable.

I used 3 different Sauces:
Buffalo Sauce
BBQ Sauce
Asian Sweet and Spicy Chili Sauce


You can fry the Cauliflower or bake them. I baked them, since I am not big on frying stuff. Left to me, I would bake every single thing. I think it's obvious looking at the number of baked recipes on my blog.


Ingredients:
Cauliflower - 2 small

Batter:
All Purpose Flower - 1/4 Cup
Corn Flour - 1/4 Cup
Rice Flower - 1/2 Cup
Salt - To Taste
Pepper Powder - 1 tsp

Mix all the ingredients for the batter with water. It shouldn't be too thin. Wash and cut the Cauliflower into florets. Heat the over to 400F and line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
Dip the florets into the batter and place on a single layer on the baking sheet.
Bake for about 15 to 20 min until slightly firm and crisp.

Meanwhile, have 3 bowls for the sauces. Remove the florets from the oven, dip into the sauce until well coated and place them back onto the baking sheet. Place it back in the oven and bake for an additional 10 min or so, until the wings are cooked through and the sauces are well coated and start to dry up.

Remove and serve with a ranch dip.

Sauces:
BBQ Sauce: 
Phil's BBQ Sauce
I used store bought BBQ sauce. Phil's Devil's spit. Fair warning, this is an extremely spicy BBQ sauce, but they have milder varieties as well.

Buffalo Sauce:
Frank's Red Hot
I used 4 tbsp of Frank's Red hot, mixed with 1 tbsp melted butter.

Asian Sauce:
Hoisin Sauce - 2 tbsp
Chili Garlic Sauce - 1 tbsp
Honey - 1 tbsp
Soy Sauce - 1 tsp
Ginger Garlic paste - 1 tsp
Sesame Seeds - 1 tbsp
Mix all the ingredients, taste and adjust seasoning.


No comments: